THIS Covid situation continuously brings us many uncertainties. Just when you thought there was hope with the availability of vaccines, the Delta strain poses new threats. As I observe from people around me, one is either immobilized by the uncertainties, or pivots to hopefully not just survive but also fly. I have heard many industry leaders speak about how they maneuvered through this pandemic; and the main value that resounded to me was courage. It made me think of our kids' futures and how much courage is needed to not "fold" when challenges arise.

I want to start with my son's speech last January 2020, when he was chosen to compose and deliver this to the parents' of potential enrollees during their school's Open House (I took out the name of my son's school in the speech). I want to share this because my son was one of the most shy boys I have known.  He actually only spoke to one classmate in pre-K, and to only one classmate for the next two years of kindergarten. This is why I was very surprised and teary-eyed when I heard his speech.

"Hello, I am Marcus Co Say from Grade 4B and I enjoy [going to school]. This is my second year, and in that short time I have grown to love [school] and am proud to call it my second home because everybody here is really friendly. My mom transferred me because she believes [the school] can give me a holistic and values-driven education.

"I love being [a student here] because of the support I get from my classmates and teachers. I know that I am in a safe and loving environment. For example, when I got accidentally scratched on my hand with my pencil, my friend Nico was there to help me walk to the clinic. As for my teachers, they push and challenge me to bring out the best in me. One way they do it is by encouraging everyone to speak in class, even if you're not raising your hand, so everyone can understand the topic. One of my favorite and most memorable classes is probably when we wrote about our fears in Language Arts last semester. As the lesson went on, it made me less scared because I knew other people have some of the same fears I have. I consider the…community a family because even when I was a new student last year, they treated me like I had been always here.

"We have great teachers here in school. My favorite is Mr. Bilog because he has so much faith in all of my classmates and me. He is the teacher who expects the most of me and I want to live up to his expectations. He goes out of his way to make sure that we are okay….

"One of my favorite school experiences is when I didn't get into the basketball varsity because it made me realize that I need to be more determined and work harder. Even this year, I still did not get in the varsity but now I go to the park near my house to practice basketball so hopefully I get in next year. But even if I don't make it, I still want to get better and will keep on trying.

"Our virtue campaign now is on excellence and we believe that excellence is not about being the best, but doing the best with the gifts and talents that God has given us. Excellence is a combination of all the other virtues, like charity…being excellent is also being charitable to others.

"Here in [school] we are offered various academic and non-academic activities. One of the clubs that taught me a lot is Conquest. It taught me how to share, that losing is okay and winning is just a bonus. I can apply this in everything I do. I'm also part of Knights of the Altar, which is a chance for us to serve God and the priests and have a greater connection with God. Fr. Felipe and our missionary, Pato, taught us how to serve at Mass properly and even if we're not perfect and make mistakes, we keep learning along the way."

I cried not only because he has developed so much confidence to speak in front of a big crowd, but mostly because of how courageous he is in wanting to try out again in basketball after two failed attempts. He even chose this as his most favorite experience. I love seeing Marcus today exude confidence. I love observing the spark in his eyes whether he is trying a zip line or shooting hoops. I love his courage of not worrying about the outcome but just learning, laughing, and getting up again…all while developing the value of courage in the process.

Next week, let me share my personal tips on how each parent can build their child's courage regardless of how shy or fearful they might be.

Read full article on BusinessMirror