Every day is a new opportunity to live the best that I can. It is a great treasure to wake up every day and meet familiar faces again and live together with them joyfully. But one habit that I have is that I tend to work on the basis that things will work out in a certain way, but not always great at dealing with the unexpected or managing the unplanned. I am grateful for today's Gospel as it reminds me about the wisdom of the five wise bridesmaids who did what was expected of them, despite the unexpected turn of events. It is a great gift to have the wisdom that enables one to adjust to the unexpected.

But in my life, I am often like the "foolish bridesmaids" as they are called, who had not anticipated the unexpected that they ran out of oil. I live my spiritual life presuming I know precisely how God will act with me. In these trying times of the pandemic, I was too confident that I could not get sick here in the seminary because I do not often encounter people from outside. I thought I am always spared and safe. But when fever with cough hit me recently, I was surprised and found myself unprepared. It seemed I have run out of oil. I did not know what to do. I was worried if I was already infected with the virus. All that I had in mind was to fight for life, but I was helpless. I was fragile, and all I could do was entrust my life to God, He who alone could still give me a chance to live and allow my plans in life to serve other people. But it seemed the Lord was telling me that it is alright to have plans but what is more important is to be prepared and to be willing to give way every hour and every minute because His plans are far greater and better than my own.

Jesus reminds me today that here and now is the perfect moment. Every day is a commitment to live totally in the present, to seek and find God there. Whether the Groom arrives early or late, it will not matter as He has been constantly part of my everyday life. I pray that the Lord will give me wisdom, that is, the ability to keep awake and become more sensitive to His visits in my life.

By: Sem. Glicerio T. Tano

Today's Gospel

Mt 25:1-13

Jesus told his disciples this parable:
"The Kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins
who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom.
Five of them were foolish and five were wise.
The foolish ones, when taking their lamps,
brought no oil with them,
but the wise brought flasks of oil with their lamps.
Since the bridegroom was long delayed,
they all became drowsy and fell asleep.
At midnight, there was a cry,
'Behold, the bridegroom! Come out to meet him!'
Then all those virgins got up and trimmed their lamps.
The foolish ones said to the wise,
'Give us some of your oil,
for our lamps are going out.'
But the wise ones replied,
'No, for there may not be enough for us and you.
Go instead to the merchants and buy some for yourselves.'
While they went off to buy it,
the bridegroom came
and those who were ready went into the wedding feast with him.
Then the door was locked.
Afterwards the other virgins came and said,
'Lord, Lord, open the door for us!'
But he said in reply,
'Amen, I say to you, I do not know you.'
Therefore, stay awake,
for you know neither the day nor the hour."