When I was in high school, I was too shy and quiet. It was primarily because I was a victim of bullying due to my physical appearance. It was a four-year journey of survival during my high school years. Entering the gate of the institution is like entering the portal of sorrows. There were points in my life that I wanted to give up my studies so that I can keep my distance from them. With all these negative experiences, I always look up to Christ as I let myself immersed in these moments because they teach me how to love – loving continuously amidst suffering.

Today's Gospel reminds me of Jesus who was crucified because of our sinfulness. He underwent grave suffering that no man can ever endure in order for us to attain salvation. During the passion of Jesus, the Blessed Mother remained at the foot of the cross to share with her Son's suffering. At the cross, Jesus entrusted Mary to the beloved disciple and the disciple, in turn, was entrusted to Mary. He wanted us to be under the maternal protection of His mother – the Blessed Virgin Mary. This is an act and a perfect model of genuine love in spite of our unworthiness to be loved. Even on the cross, He still thinks of us and His mother more than His own pain.

Jesus keeps reminding me that I have my greatest mother, the Virgin Mary, who is truly one with me in my darkest moments. During those times of my sorrow, I felt consolation and comfort through praying the Holy Rosary. Whenever I am facing life's challenges, I know that the Blessed Mother is guiding me. She leads me to her Son Jesus. The Gospel challenges to be, like Mary, in communion with the sufferings of my neighbors. I might be having difficulties in other aspects of my life, but it should not hinder me to share the compassion and mercy of the Lord to others.

By: Sem. Bryan S. Valenzuela

Today's Gospel

Jn 19:25-27

Standing by the cross of Jesus were his mother
and his mother's sister, Mary the wife of Clopas,
and Mary Magdalene.
When Jesus saw his mother and the disciple there whom he loved
he said to his mother, "Woman, behold, your son."
Then he said to the disciple,
"Behold, your mother."
And from that hour the disciple took her into his home.