BY GINA P. VILLAGONZALO

Growing up I was exposed to observing rituals to remember and honor dead loved ones and relatives. I would say I was blessed to live in a small and remote barangay where religiosity was practiced with much significance. That time, the celebration was alive and full of fun because of the active participation of children. As a child, I remember the thrill of walking in the dark with only a lighted torch made of coconut leaves to visit our neighbors and offer prayers for their dead loved ones. Of course, we were accompanied by an adult companion who served as our prayer leader. The best part of that religious practice was eating the food that they prepared and placed on their altar. The explanation I got from old people then was, dead loved ones will eat those foods and they wish to share them with us. It's kind of weird but it was a tradition that I missed when I became an adult.

My devotion to the Holy Souls started from a personal experience when I encountered the soul of my late grandfather through a dream. I was still new in the religious life and as a cloistered nun, I struggled to adjust to the structured life. My formator suggested that I need not join the dawn prayer and instead extend my sleeping time to help my body adjust. The following day, I did not join the dawn prayer in obedience to my formator's suggestion. While in bed I could hear the chanting of the other sisters praying the Lauds the first Liturgy of the Hours at 4:30 am, I was half awake and I dreamt.

That unusual experience convinced me that I can pray for him and my prayer will help his soul receive God's mercy and forgiveness.

GINA VILLAGONZALO

I saw myself opening the door of my room and saw someone sitting outside the door, I could not see his face because he was sitting in the tuck position. I awakened from my dream trembling with fear. I heard the other sisters singing the Psalms, and I was in my room frozen with fear. That same day, I shared my decision to my formator that I want to join the morning prayer and not extend my sleep for fear that I might have a bad dream again. She asked why and explained that obedience is one important vow that a religious needs to live and practice. I was forced to share my bad dream. She listened well and unexpectedly told me that perhaps a relative needs my prayer. Immediately, I remembered my Lolo Macario (father's side) who committed suicide. Honestly, I only learned the nature of his death when I was of age from an old neighbor who was my grandfather's contemporary. A sad story of our family that was kept and not openly shared, something considered taboo. That unusual experience convinced me that I can pray for him and my prayer will help his soul receive God's mercy and forgiveness. As a religious sister back then, fulfilling my life of prayer was partly dedicated to the soul of my Lolo. Nocturnal adoration was meaningful because it was an opportunity to make a prayer sacrifice sometimes with outstretched hands (like Moses interceding for the Israelites) for him. I was conscious too that there were other restless souls needing prayers. That started my devotion to the Holy Souls even after my religious life. For me, they are my great intercessor if I need a special favor from God and if I am in trouble. My experiences can testify that the souls of our dear departed can intercede for us who are still alive. They are faithful and efficient prayer warriors in heaven.

I was conscious too that there were other restless souls needing prayers.

My father died 8 years ago and last July 31st of this year, my mom joined him in heaven. When they were still alive, I used to request special prayers from them if I'm facilitating a retreat or if I give formation sessions. It gives me peace and confidence knowing that they are praying for my ministry, that God's grace will sustain me and I will be okay. Now that they are both gone in heaven, I still continue asking them for special prayers.

This month of November, I remember and honor them including my dead friends and relatives who have been a part of my life in some way. I would like to thank them for their witness, inspiration, and encouragement to live my life in a better way.

Before this month ends, may we unite in compassion with all souls who have died and who may not yet be at peace. Let us pray for those who have taken their own lives or caused their own deaths, those who died due to their violence or brutal aggression, those who failed to reconcile their anger and remained alienated, those who have been executed for heinous crimes they committed, those who fought death and refused to be comforted, those whose ego-focused decisions led to the deaths of others, those killed in car accidents caused by their own substance abuse or recklessness, those who raged against others and died with hate in their hearts. (Out of the Ordinary p.42)

We offer this prayer for them:

Merciful God, it is not for us to judge those who have died. Rather, we come to you with the assurance of your great compassion. We unite with these wounded brothers and sisters of ours and believe that you draw all to your forgiving heart. May the love we bear be an encouragement for all souls winging their way home to you. Thank you for your unconditional love for all you have created. Amen. (Joyce Rupp)

Follow us:


This free site is ad-supported. Learn more