The Gospel reading for today is about the call of Matthew. Jesus saw Matthew as He walked by the customs post. Jesus simply said to Matthew, "Follow me," and immediately, he got up and followed Jesus.

While reading the gospel, I remembered how many times in the past I refused the call of God to follow Him. For about three times, I denied His invitation to follow Him. I always delayed my plan to enter the seminary until I graduated from college and worked for three years. In 2018, I finally decided to answer His call and I took the entrance examination at our archdiocesan seminary. With the grace of God, I got accepted. Entering the seminary proved to be difficult for me. I had a hard time adjusting to the new environment and there were many challenges along the way. I had many realizations throughout that formation year which led me to ask myself if I really belonged in that community because I was older than my batch mates and the rest of the pre-college community. After one year, I requested for regency that I may have the time to discern further. In my discernment process, I decided to take a risk and tried to explore a different seminary ---HASS. Fortunately, I passed, got admitted and became part of Batch Pietas 2026.

To follow Jesus, like St. Matthew, means abandoning a lucrative job. By doing so, he also cut himself from his old network of friends. To obey Jesus' command, therefore, requires Matthew's absolute commitment. For me, Matthew has shown a remarkable act of faith. He admitted to himself that he is a sinner and unworthy of being one of the apostles of Jesus. Yet, he chose to follow Jesus and fully committed himself to be an ardent disciple of the Messiah. The Gospel for today reminds me that following Jesus is not easy; it requires the courage and the willingness to leave your old life that you may start a new one with Jesus.

By: Sem. Nico Jay Z. del Mundo

Today's Gospel

Mt 9:9-13

As Jesus passed by,
he saw a man named Matthew sitting at the customs post.
He said to him, "Follow me."
And he got up and followed him.
While he was at table in his house,
many tax collectors and sinners came
and sat with Jesus and his disciples.
The Pharisees saw this and said to his disciples,
"Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?"
He heard this and said,
"Those who are well do not need a physician, but the sick do.
Go and learn the meaning of the words,
I desire mercy, not sacrifice.
I did not come to call the righteous but sinners."