In the seminary, there are processes given that touch on the human dimension of the seminarians. Following the new Ratio Fundamentalis Institutionis Sacerdotalis, a seminarian must develop his personality to be configured to Christ, the perfect man, the model and source of our vocation. As early as my first year in formation, we had spirituality subjects which, in one way or another, had made me realize that my self-concept has been trapped by fears, worries and anxieties all my life. I have done many things just to control the fears and worries, failing, committing mistakes, being rejected or not liked by others, helplessness and abandonment. I was helped by counseling and spiritual direction and I found out that it was not me who was in control. Fear actually controlled me. I gave in to what my fears would tell me, and so I had studied hard and excelled in things I could only manage, setting aside those other things which I actually needed.

The Gospel for this Sunday shows us Jesus' attitude towards rejection from among His countrymen. He knows and continues what He is doing. His only source of encouragement is His Father in heaven. As I prepare myself for the priesthood, I have to be ready to endure rejection when I preach or do something in the name of the Lord. The seminary formation is the starting point to claim my true self and to liberate my fears. I need to grow in trust that everything is not in my control. By acknowledging my fears and worries, I can learn to develop my other potentials—hidden and untapped talents or skills. By pushing myself to the limits, taking risk and learning from my mistakes, I will eventually feel at peace with what I have and have not, with what I can and cannot, with what I like and don't like. When I am at peace with myself, God can accomplish His work in and through me.

By: Sem. Keith R. Buenaventura

Today's Gospel

Mk 6:1-6

Jesus departed from there and came to his native place, accompanied by his disciples.
When the sabbath came he began to teach in the synagogue,
and many who heard him were astonished.
They said, "Where did this man get all this?
What kind of wisdom has been given him?
What mighty deeds are wrought by his hands!
Is he not the carpenter, the son of Mary,
and the brother of James and Joses and Judas and Simon?
And are not his sisters here with us?"
And they took offense at him.
Jesus said to them,
"A prophet is not without honor except in his native place
and among his own kin and in his own house."
So he was not able to perform any mighty deed there,
apart from curing a few sick people by laying his hands on them.
He was amazed at their lack of faith.