I studied and graduated from a public elementary school that is just a 20-minute walk from our house. To save money then, rather than ride a jeepney, I would usually walk on my way home, carrying with me my backpack with at least six books and eight notebooks inside. It felt heavy to me during that time.

Every Wednesday, my mother would attend a cooking seminar held at our school. I was always excited about it because I would have a chance to spend time with my mother. On our way home, my mother would get my bag, carry it herself, and hand me over her purse and some stuff from the workshop. It felt good to walk with my mother while sharing my tiring day at school.

In today's Gospel, Jesus invites us to come to him whenever we feel burdened and troubled. He offers rest when we are tired with our problems, struggles in life, and worries especially during this time of the pandemic.

Even while away from home and staying in the seminary, I would often feel burdened by the problems of my family, the rigors of formation (especially academic), fears, and uncertainties. The Gospel reminds me to lay everything on the Lord. He is gentle and humble. Jesus, like my mother, will carry our heavy "bags" of burdens and sufferings that we may enjoy walking with Him on this earthly pilgrimage, and eventually find the needed rest and comfort only in Him.

By: Sem. Ericson Y. Austria

Today's Gospel

Mt 11:28-30

Jesus said:
"Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened,
and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me,
for I am meek and humble of heart;
and you will find rest for yourselves.
For my yoke is easy, and my burden light."